English - Queen Mary's High School
July 2016Next Month
|25||26Y10/12 Goal Setting||27||28||29Y11 PSHCEE||30Y7 Lichfield Trip|
|1||2RS - All Y10 Medical Ethics off timetable all day||3||4|
|5||6||7External Student Family Day||8||9||10Y12 to Y13 Opt in||11|
|12||13||14||15||16Y8 Parents Evening||17||18|
|2||3||4||5Parent Drop In||6Arts EventHouse Dance||7Staff Training Day||8|
|23||24||25Open Morning||26Head Girl Assembly||27Junior Maths Challenge Y8Open Morning||28||29|
|4||5||6Y12 Normal timetableYear 8 RS Day||7||8||9||10|
|18||19||20||21Y9 Dovedale TripY10 Parents Evening||22||23||24|
|25||26Y7 Transition Evening||27External Student - Sixth Form Student for a Day||28Y10 Carding MilY7 Transition Day||29Reserve Sports Day||30|
|2||3||4Birmingham HE Conference tbc||5||6||7||8|
|9||10||11||12||13||14End of Term||15|
We encourage all our students to appreciate the rich variety of literature available to them and to see that skills in Speaking and Listening, Reading and Writing are essential to good communication at school and in the wider world. We want pupils to see both the pleasure and the usefulness in the study of English at Queen Mary’s High School.
Read 'Our English Teacher's Perspective' here...
Our main aims are to:
Our main aims are to:
- Encourage and enable all pupils to achieve their potential in English.
- Foster an enjoyment of English and a pleasure in reading.
- Enable pupils to speak clearly and with confidence and to listen effectively in a range of challenging situations.
- Foster and develop reading skills as a tool and for pleasure, covering a wide range of written texts including those produced in electronic form.
- Introduce pupils to a wide range of writing in English and to develop clarity and accuracy in their thought and in written and spoken expression.
- Develop the study and enjoyment of English Literature.
- Nurture pupils’ own creative skills.
English is taught by subject specialists in each of the key stages. We work closely with the Drama department and teach some Drama lessons.
The English department is housed in the main school block, close to the school’s Learning Resource Centre.
We offer a wide range of extra-curricular activities such as theatre trips, debating, writing competitions and author visits. We take students to the RSC at Stratford, The Rep in Birmingham and to conferences appropriate for the courses they are studying.